TRAYLOR ISLAND (the island that was not really an island)
Traylor Island was a development on Memorial Parkway from 1959 to around 1990. (When Interstate 565 was built going thru most of it) Memorial Parkway has opened in 1955,which was new new road bypassing the downtown portion of Huntsville. Traylor Island was assessable from a bridge going across Pinhook Creek only until the 565 project came along. The L&N railroad was on the backside, but no crossings intersected with it. That portion of the L&N railroad was removed around 1990. Below is a map of the structures prepared by Billy Lenox. We are looking for additional pictures to post from businesses on the "island" Please feel free to email to email@example.com Over the years there was everything from skating, bowling, TV production and Cable TV office under 4 different names, Furniture, Satellite Dishes, Lighting, Real Estate, Insurance, Musical Instruments, Girl Scouts, Engine Repair, Antiques, Building Products, IBM, Trophy Store, Pest Control Services, Solar Panel store, Cosmetics, Mobile Home Sales Office Products, HVAC, Offices for Jack's and Yogi Bear's Fried Chicken and more! Alabama's "Grunches and Grins" even got it's start on "The Island" Below are City Directory listings for 1972.